Tuesday, April 6, 2010

How to Get Started in Printmaking: Custom Printing

Hi, thank you for joining me.

At the beginning of the year I began working with artist Tate Adams, who has contributed a remarkable influence on art in Australia since the 1960's, as a custom printer at Garage Press, Townsville Australia to produce the Presidential Print for the Print Council of Australia (PCA) for 2010.

I have been working closely with Tate to etch a sugarlift on zinc plate in a copper sulphate etch. I have managed to obtain a beautiful rich black aquatint that I am very proud of. Tomorrow I will commence editioning the print at Garage Press in the presence of Tate Adams, Frances Thomson Director of Perc Tucker Regional Gallery, Townsville and Donna Foley Garage Press founder for a photo shoot as a submission in the PCA Imprint Magazine.

I enjoy working closely with artists as a custom printer to develop their ideas and find the right medium to create an edition of prints or a suite of prints. I find the process extremely rewarding when I am able to produce exactly what the artist is desiring as an outcome.

There are many artists who are wanting to create prints who do not have the technical skills or knowledge to create an etching, lithograph or any of the print mediums, who are looking for a printmaker to work with. Put yourself out there in your art community and advertise that you are available.

If you would like to know more about custom printing and how to work with an artist to deliver a quality service and a consistent print edition  then send me an email at jo.lankester@gmail.com

Warmly
Jo Lankester


Seize the moment of excited curiosity on any subject to solve your doubts; for if you let it pass, the desire may never return, and you may remain in ignorance.
William Wirt





No comments:

Post a Comment