Friday, November 19, 2010

Day 15: Jo Lankester Printmaking Residency @ Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts

Day 15: Printmaking Residency at Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts.

As mentioned in my previous post, I decided to create a new series of plates for consideration for the book. I spent last night applying Liquid Hard Ground on 6 Aluminium plates ready for to take on location at the old Echlin Street Quarry, Townsville.















I am lucky the the wet season has started early this year as the natural springs were flowing. They weren't flowing as fast as previous site visits but they were flowing enough for the plates to glide down the old road.















I'm glad that there was less water flow than I anticipated as different marks were created  to previous plates.















I also skid the plates across a dry rocky surface for different marks.















I etched the plates for 10 minutes and discovered the acid was substantially weaker due to all the activity over the past two weeks so I added an extra 250 gms of salt, waited for it to dissolve before putting the plates back in the acid for another 15 minutes.

The lines are a deep rough bite. Just what I was after.















Happy printmaking.

Warmly,
Jo Lankester

2 comments: